Napier jewelry began as Whitney & Rice in 1875 in Attleboro, Massachusetts. The company made silver products. It was sold in 1882, becoming Carpenter and Bliss, and then E. A. Bliss. The company moved to Meriden, Connecticut in 1890. When James H. Napier became the company president in 1920, the name was changed to Napier-Bliss. In 1922, the name changed to just Napier. James Napier remained as president until 1960. Although the company was sold, Napier jewelry is still produced and sold in major department stores. The Napier mark is usually “NAPIER” in block letters. However, the mark may also be Napier in script.